Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 01:53 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Resurrected Starships tackles inconsistencies in the usage of "transwarp" between STIII, the Borg, etc.

I'm all for assuming that "The Great Experiment" of the Excelsior wasn't "transwarp" as understood later on, i.e. not Warp 10 or special warp paths like the Borg and other species use, but merely a major upgrade to conventional warp that would allow for far superior speeds than the TOS warp scale. Once the kinks were ironed out I'm willing to believe that "transwarp" became the new TNG warp scale, far faster than anything in TOS (except for Kelvin intervention or the like, of course).

He also hypothesizes that when Kirk said "let's see what she's got" of the Enterprise-A, he really meant the new warp drive design that was a refinement of the Excelsior.

I'm not a fan of the notion that the Excelsior's transwarp drive was completely abandoned when Scotty "stopped up the drain" and replaced with a standard warp drive. All Scotty did was remove some key components that couldn't be replaced in time to stop the Enterprise (along with some minor hacking to give Captain Stiles a message, of course). In fact, I shudder to think of the amount of work that would have to be done to rip out half of the stardrive section and replace it, even if a spare Constitution warp core was available immediately.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.