View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
One interesting result of how the voting percentages have lined up is that there has been a lot of talk about proportional representation bandied about
Same here. The BC premier's trying to restructure the system to combine the present first-past-the-post system with a proportional representation system. Half the seats in the Legislature are directly elected from the ridings, and the other half are apportioned to the parties based on their share of the popular vote. Before the election, each party prepares a list of candidates they'd like to see in the Legislature, and after the votes are tallied they cross off the names that got elected and if Prop. Rep gives them 18 seats, then the top 18 people on the list get in. This is one way the unelectable sleazebags can get into the government.

Campbell set up a bunch of Citizen's Committees to work on the system, and I believe there's a referendum on the matter on this year's election ballot (having lived in Ontario for the past 16 months, I'm not eligible for this one). Campbell says the word citizen a lot, and my dad gets Stalinist chills every time he does.

Quote:
Perhaps the sweetest moment of the night though was seeing Kilroy-Silk's utterly pathetic showing.
Whonow?