View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 10:25 PM
You just activated his Trek card

To expound on the earlier comments, the Shatnerverse novels pinpoint exactly where our universe and the Mirror Universe separated. It occurs the morning after First Contact. Cochrane wakes up after an evening of drinking the Vulcans under the table and suddenly remembers the events of the movie. He remembers the Borg attack, the Enterprise-E, Riker, Troi, all of it. He knows that they drugged him to make him forget, but it didn't work. He knows that the implications of him telling the world about the Borg are monumental. In the end he decides to use a coin toss. Heads, he tells Lily and all the others about the existence of malevolent cyborgs in the universe. Tails, he stays silent about the whole thing. Our universe is the "tails" universe. No one knows about the Borg, so no extraordinary preparations for hostile aliens are made. The Mirror Universe is the "heads" universe. Earth unites a lot faster and the Borg are never a threat. Unfortunately, such preparations necessitate the creation of an Empire, not a Federation.

I like this idea and think it'd be great canon.

PS. I do regret that my favorite protrayal of Cochrane, in the novel Federation, has been rendered null and void. That was based on Trek canon as of about season five. In that book it's established that Cochrane built his ship, the Bonaventure, amidst all of the postatomic horror that's described in Encounter at Farpoint. It takes him a year to go to and from Alpha Centauri. His sponsor is Micah Brack, an insanely rich businessman (and an alter-ego of our favorite near-immortal, Flint). By the time he gets back, Colonel Green (of the Savage Curtain) has taken over and we're in the middle of the Eugenics Wars. Green's associate, Thorsen is obsessed with Cochrane's earlier work, including the possibility of a "warp bomb." Cochrane uses the basic warp field diagram (the Starfleet delta, complete with command insignia star) to prove such a weapon impossible. Go read the book for the details, it includes both Kirk and Picard's Enterprises having to help each other out of a black hole, a Preserver artifact hijaking Data's body, the brilliant destruction of a Romulan warbird, the real reason Cochrane ran away to the Companion's planet, and much much more.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.