View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

I was reading a forum - somewhere - the other day. And, funny enough, the major opinions there seemed to be against the Wii. Was quite heated too. I can't just understand it, though. Many of the 360's owners seemed to be happy with their system, while still complementary of the Wii, but many of the PS3 people were almost fanatical about how crap the Wii is and how great the PS3 is going to be 'Next year'. Declaring that the Wii sales to be a 'fad', and that by christmas it will all be over. Also that the Wiimote was silly, and the Wii has no good games on it.
And it just makes me think, do these people deal in real logic?
I never believed the Gamecube would win the 7th war, it didn't have the power, appeal or games to do so. Not saying it was a flop - far from it. It had some amazing games, but against the Xbox and PS2.... well.... it came up short.
But the Wii... It just is amazing.
One guy on the forum (A 360 owner, no less), said about it, that maybe, it didn't have the killer hardcore games yet (I.e Gears of war, Halo?). But, he said he was at a family do, to which someone brough a Wii. And he was amazed at the intrest in it. He said that no other console had ever had so many people crowding around it before - 40 year old women, 10 year old boys, Fathers, Grandparents.... all rushing to have a go.
Yes the Wii can play like a normal console... with normal controls and games, and while it may not be as powerful as the others, I think the PS2 showed that you don't need to be the most powerful, to win.
But the 'ace' that the Wii has, is it's innovation.
I really can't see how it could fail, to be honest. if it kept going like it was now, I'm sure it would be a success, but we all know consoles do get better. The big titles are gonna start coming out. The usual ones and the new hits. But the thing I'm most excited to see, is what Nintendo are going to come up with next. What new idea. What new innovation they are gonna add to the Wii next...
Taking the DS as an example.. when it first was spoken about it sounded silly. Two screens? I must say I thought the idea was a bit stupid. But now I can't think off playing any different way. And it's hugely Sucessful. One of the most sucessful handhelds ever.
And also, there is the prospect to linking the DS to the Wii... meaning you would have not only the Wiimote to control games with movement, but touch screen input and microphone...
Summing up: I really am an all round console guy, have a PS2/Xbox - might even get a 360 soon. But really, how can people fail to be impressed by what Nintendo have achieved so far?
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------