View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 08:15 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Default HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray

I can find all kinds of specs on Wikipedia and such, but they still don't answer the fundamental question: If you can only buy one overpriced movie player and you don't have the most advanced HD TV yet, which do you get? Personally, I'd have thought that by now the industry would've looked at the two formats back when they were in the experimental phase and say "that one looks better, let's stick with that." The industry should've known better than to create a new editition of the VHS vs. Betamax war.

Of course, the thing that really irks me is the two ways of "solving" the conundrum that they're coming up with:

1. Put HD-DVD on one side, Blu-Ray on the other side of the disc.
2. Stick the guts of both machines into the same player.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the major pros of the two seem to be that Blu-Ray has a lot more potential for capacity, and HD-DVD is a lot easier to make backward compatible. Does that about sum it up?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone's seen both players in action and can give me objective advice.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.