View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 02:36 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by evay View Post
what ideology was that? I never kept up too closely with the various characters, especially when they got rebooted so many times.
I'm not terribly familiar with all things Green Arrow, so what I'm about to say is a summarized form of Wikipedia (whose depth of knowledge about comic book characters is somewhat frightening).

Initially, Oliver Queen/Green Arrow was a Batman clone. Unashamedly so. To the point of them having Oliver Queen meet Bruce Wayne early in his career and decide to mimic Bruce's shtick. Sincerest form of flattery and all that.

Finally, DC decided that, hey, maybe we should have the much less interesting second banana do something else. So Oliver Queen, billionaire (just like Bruce Wayne), lost his fortune. After slumming for a bit, he kind of got a shift of perspective and changed party affiliations from Republican to Democrat. Okay, not really, but sort of. He's definitely more on the political left than others, and certainly more outspoken.

As for what Smallville will do, who knows? Nothing creative certainly. I suspect they'll have him be the Bruce Wayne lookalike for all their Batman storylines they've got locked away, and then if the character's still interesting, they might have him lose his fortune. Or not. Meanwhile he'll continue to pursue Lois, and Clark, who has shown zero romantic interest in Lois, will start up the good ol' angst machine because he apparently wants all the girls of the show for himself, whether he's interested in them or not.

Um, </rant>, apparently.