View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 12:51 AM
You just activated his Trek card

LAFORGE: I'm working on it. Computer, reconfigure structural integrity power to feed inner deflector grid.
COMPUTER: Unable to comply. Requested reroute would compromise operational safety limits.
LAFORGE: To hell with the limits. Override.

Well he's being an idiot. Structural integrity fields and inertial dampeners should be on top of the "never turn these off" list.

TAM: Nice. A little Spartan.
DATA: Spartan?
TAM: Lots of work space, not much room to live.

It's Season Three, this bit where Data doesn't have instant recall of the entire dictionary has overstayed its welcome. If it was ever welcome at all, that is.

DATA: It is indeed laid out as a vessel with what appear to be corridors and chambers. An internal environment suitable for carbon based life forms is being maintained, yet there is no evidence of a crew aboard. Tin Man is a living being which has been bred or has adapted itself to serve a purpose. I find that interesting.

I could rant for quite awhile about the implications of a lifeform modifying itself to serve humanoid needs. The sheer variety of neural systems that would have to operate independently and in parallel are just the tip of the iceberg. I kind of prefer the idea of one guy forming a symbiotic relationship with one ship.

TAM: No! No! We're not the target. It's Tin Man.
PICARD: What do you mean? Do they intend to destroy it?
TAM: Those are their orders if they can't secure the alien.

And how exactly would the Romulans "secure" Gomtuu in such a short amount of time? For the fun of it, I wanted to compare the size of Gomtuu to the space between the upper and lower hulls of a Romulan warbird, but we don't have a size for Gomtuu. Although that would be a cool sight, tractor beams acting as cage bars trapping Gomtuu between the hulls. The only problem would be getting into warp...

LAFORGE: I know. Okay, first thing we need to do is get the main computer working right.
RIKER: No, we fix the shields first.
LAFORGE: Commander, whatever Tin Man hit us with, it fried circuits I thought were unfryable.

Maybe you could get a basic shield bubble without the main computer, but I wouldn't want to take the ship into battle with Romulans with a basic shield bubble. Then again, the entire point of having three computer cores is to have a backup in case something happens. Are you telling me that Gomtuu's pulse knocked out the connections from all THREE cores? Then again, you'd think Data would have a hotkey to isolate one of the cores in case of an unknown energy pulse approaching the ship...

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.