Thread: April 23
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 03:06 PM
You just activated his Trek card

To return to my fivers... (ahem :? )

Here's a micropoll for you guys who've read His Way. As originally written, Vic's punchline is "I'm from the forties, it's what I do." I thought that Vic is from the forties. Zeke corrected it, and I suppose he does have a point because Vic does reference JFK at one point and seems familiar with the world of Our Man Bashir, which is definitely sixties. However, I can't help but peg Vic's personality as being a little older than that. Were there really gangsters, protection rackets, more jazz than rock, etc. in the sixties? Besides, I think the technology was a BIT more advanced in the sixties than that. For that matter, time after time we've seen Vic exist in both "his" timeframe and everything since then. He's got a good grasp of current events, even if the vocabulary and metaphors are limited to his own. Who's to say he can't use sixties references while still "living" in the forties?

So, what's your guys' opinion? When in the world is Vic Fontaine?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.