View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 04:32 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

I have heard of similar projects before, but not that one in particular. There are a few compilations out there specifically dedicated to short-form fiction. Flash Fiction publishes a new anthology every few years or so, and has a 250-500 word requirement. MicroFiction was a project by an FSU professor (winner for each year got a crate of oranges) to create stories in 150 words or less. The guy died about ten years ago, and I don't think his mantle has been taken up. The class I'm in is specifically dedicated to these extremely short stories, but today was the first time we'd looked at anything... quite so short. Thanks for the link though, I actually have a few pieces that could probably go for that.

To those here who still don't really get it, Derek pretty much nailed it. These are intended as stories. Not sequels, not parodies, not homages -- stories. They were created to stand on their own and not tied to anything in particular, save for an obvious tribute to Hemmingway's template of sorts. I posted it here because I was pretty amazed by the list of names they managed to gather.

By the by, plot isn't really considered the defining factor in what makes a story a story. From what I've gathered from various contemporary musings on the subject, the key component is change. Whether character change, situational change, ideological change... if change hasn't occurred, it's not a story. Of course, there are many who wouldn't consider these pieces stories. But pushing the boundaries is part of what marks the post-modern era.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!