View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

Now this is more like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability View Post
1. What do you think really happened to the Xindi in the hundred years before Kirk? Are they still there and we just never saw one, or were they assimilated by the Borg when no one was looking, or what?
Maybe we just didn't hear from them around then? Think about now. Do you hear much about the Native Americans on TV? Or the Australian Aboriginals?
In any case, I'm still a little lost with the Enterprise/star trek timeline. Is the 'normal' timeline, the Xindi joining the federation? Before the sphere builders came along? Turned them against Earth before Archer turned them back into friends. Or were the Xindi not really around at all. Maybe the normal timeline was just:
-Federation knows of Xindi, but not really close.
-Federation stops the Builders
-Builders go back and find the Xindi are a good way of stopping Humans forming the Federation.
It's only this action that brought the Federation into real contact with the Xindi. So they wouldn't have been around much in TOS or TNG we watched. I guess that would make Enterprise a alt-universe thing??? Or are the writers saying that all this time travel/cold war stuff was always part of Trek history? In that case......I'm lost.

Quote:
2. Do you prefer Mark One Assimilation (beam you away and insert implants manually and probably surgically) or Mark Two Assimilation (inject you with nanoprobes and manufacture implants using metal from hammerspace)? As a plot device, I mean, not as the way you'd prefer to be assimilated.
Gotta go with Derek on this. They inject you then add the other stuff. But it does still seem to have changed a lot. They seemed to take a lot longer making over Picard that other later in the show. Either it's because Picard was a more special drone or maybe they found new and better ways to Assimilate. we discover new ways to do things quicker. I guess they would too.

Quote:
3. Can you think of a reason why Andorians' antennae never moved in TOS? Was it bred out of the genepool, or is it a trick that only certain Andorians can do, akin to wiggling ears?
I'd guess the wagging ears things

Quote:
4. Regardless of the way the dictionary says it, do you prefer "few-tile" or "few-till?"
Few-tile. All credit to Jeri Ryan as an actor, but Few-tile is much scarier

Quote:
5. Do you think Voyager really had an aero-shuttle? Why didn't they use it? Was it in the plans but never made, or were some crucial parts going to arrive "next Tuesday" and Janeway had to leave with an incomplete ship because of the Maquis threat?
I have a Voyager model, and long before I heard anything about this aero-shuttle, I thought the bit on the underside looked like a ship. It looks too much like a ship not to be one.
But clearly the writers didn't want to add it to the show. However a few lines saying something like....'It's a pity we can't use the aero-shuttle because...' - add reason, would have sorted everything out! I did read an idea a while back that what we saw was a outer casing, put in place because the shuttle was never installed.

Quote:
6. Is it really reasonable that there are only X torpedoes on Voyager? Surely they can replicate casings and trade for antimatter with other spacefaring races, right?
Not really. Maybe there was something extra they needed to do, that we didn't know about. The ship did have antimatter. Maybe Janeway was worried about using that, and running out of fuel? Clearly they worked out something though, cos they used a lot more than they had at the start.

Quote:
7. Would you have preferred Ro Laren to have starred on DS9 instead of Kira, as was in the original plans?
Utterly no. I like Ro, but I like Kira too much too have not had her there too.

Quote:
8. Are you a Wesley/Lefler shipper?
Not really no.

Quote:
9. You think Captain Bateson was still in command of the Bozeman in First Contact, or was he swapping drinks with Scotty on Wrigley's Pleasure Planet?
Ever read 'Ship of the line'? Take out all the Bateson being an idiot bit's and I quite like the idea that Starfleet would go to all the trouble of refitting an old starship for the crew and captain. Because it's their only link to the past.
I vote yes. (The Bozeman was mentioned in Generations too. I think that was them too!)

Quote:
10. Do you disregard all mention of lasers and lithium crystals and Vulcanians and time-warp factors in the early episodes of TOS, or do you think that they really were in a transition period in the mid-2260s?
Sort of. Again things change names nowadays too.

Quote:
11. Those STTMP uniforms really did stink, didn't they?
Like some sort of dull cream nightmare

Quote:
12. You think that Commodore is still a valid rank in the 24th century?
I think certain captains are more powerful than others. That’s what the rank was really anyway? I think someone like Picard could pull rank on a smaller boarder ship.

Quote:
13. Should Picard have retired to serve as Commandant of Starfleet Academy and given the Enterprise to Riker a long time ago? I think so.
Never!

Quote:
14. You think Riker's ticked off that Janeway made Admiral before he did? They are in the same class, you know.
I'm shocked she made it before Picard! But not Riker. I don't even think he wanted to be a captain for years.

Quote:
15. You really think it would've been an "unheroic dead" if Soran had just shoot Kirk in the back, like it was originally shot?
Yeah

Quote:
16. If there was one Trek game that Paramount decided to market in real life, which game? Taking out Fizzbin as insanely complicated, would you prefer Parrises Squares, Kalto, Anbo-jytsu, Tongo, Dabo, what?
I liked Strategema. Either that or Kalto
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------