View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 08:28 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Don't take this as an attack post -- I'm just answering some of the points you made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marplanauta
I am pro abortion if it is performed in the firsts trimester of pregnancy, when it is not "alive".
In what sense are you using the word "alive"? Biologically, no one questions that a fetus is alive by that point. For example, its heart is beating within the first three weeks, let alone months. There's a good timeline on this page.

Quote:
As I see it, is not different from other pregnancy controls such as the "day after" pill.
The morning after pill acts within the very, very brief interval where there is some question whether the fetus is alive, so that's a more complicated case. Nonetheless, a lot of pro-lifers do consider it morally equivalent to abortion. (On a pickier note, I think "pregnancy controls" is a very misleading term for either abortion or the morning after pill. They don't control pregnancy, they end it; one might as well be honest about that.)

Quote:
And in that way, you prevent many girls from dying.
This is one of the pro-choice arguments that's hardest to dispute -- if you do, it sounds like you're saying what happened to these women is okay. Obviously I don't feel that way, but I also don't think it's sufficient justification. If you try to rob a bank, you may be shot in the attempt. That doesn't mean robbing banks should be legal.

I guess it's obvious from this post that unlike some people who posted earlier in the thread, I do think abortion is an important enough issue to determine who you vote for....

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction