View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 02:08 AM
13th Lord of Kobol

Location: In the hearts and minds of my followers. And maybe Mount Olympus.

Quote:
One thing I've never understood, and maybe Vedra can shed some light on this for me: why birth?
I'll try not to take that as a cheap shot against me. Anyway, my point earlier in the thread was that, instead of fetuses not being human yet, or always, whatever, that arguement is pointless, of course it's human. My point was that fetuses are not special. Or at least, they shouldn't be. They're is no reason they should be. My argument for allowing abortion is based on sentience. Nobody questions euthanizing a dog, apparently because they're non-sentient (or semi-sentient, I guess it depends on your dog-philosophy.) So, if fetus's are not sentient, at least up to a stage of development, it should be okay. But another argument, which I agree with more, is that very early abortion is okay simply because the fetus isn't even fetus yet, it's just a clump of cells. An abortion would be like removing your tonsils. That comes out a lot more heartless than I meant it to be...oh well.
Tarn-Vedra: Yeah.
FiveMinZeke: That does explain why I'm drinking Earl Grey right now....
Tarn-Vedra: Don't forget to tug the front of your shirt, Jean.