View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

My personal idea for the next Trek?

Diplomacy Mini-Series.

Set Post-NEM, the Alpha Quadrant is in shambles, and political games are being played all over the place. Watch as alliances are formed and broken. A strong secondary component would be espionage (I don't much like Section 31, but I could tolerate it as a sideplot, not the main focus).

Heck, you could have multiple miniseries set at various important points of Federation history. I don't think the idea can be stretched out to a "normal" series, but something like BSG's 13 episodes / season should be feasible.

The Why: Because we have seen diplomacy play a big part in Trek, but it's never really been the main focus of a show. Because the espionage/intelligence components could satisfy the action crowd; I personally love seeing special operations personnel on secret missions, but I think it's too tedious to carry a series on it's own. Because it's character-driven, giving us the opportunity to develop diplomats, attachés and, yes, the Starfleet officers who carry out their directives. Because it's cost-effective and can be done with a minimum of FX.

Because it's different.

Well, that's my 2 euro-cents, anyway.

Gatac
- d02 Quotes