Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 07:04 AM
You just activated his Trek card

What I Won't Do When Directing Shakespeare

Think of it as the Shakespeare version of the Evil Overlord List. Here are a few of my favorite exerpts (there are 359 rules, and some of you may not want to bother):

5. I will not make actors in battle scenes wear knitted chainmail of a color that makes them resemble not so much a medieval warrior as Winnie-the-Pooh.

36. Keanu Reeves will not be allowed near the production.
Nate: Actually this one confuses me. I liked him in Much Ado About Nothing, really!

50. The "to be" speech should not end with the line "from henceforth shall all my thoughts be bloody."
Nate: Apparently Derek isn't the only one with the dirty mind.

296. I will never tell my actors that they don't need to understand the text, they just need to say it.
Nate: Very important. This one isn't even humorous, it's really good advice.

303. I will not present Macbeth with Klingon characterization (no matter how many Trekkies are in the cast).
Nate: You can't appreciate Shakespeare until you've read him in the original Klingon.

321. Any actors should be forbidden from calling anyone "Dude". This also applies to minor characters.
Nate: Aw, dude, that's harsh!

326. I will not costume Henry V in Star Trek uniforms.
Nate: Why Henry V, particularly? (PNQ!)

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.