Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2023, 04:42 AM
You just activated his Trek card

So what class was the original Enterprise, anyway?

I was surprised to learn that "Constitution Class" as a concept didn't really exist until the TNG era. Of course I knew that the 1701 plaque reads simply "Starship Class", but that can be excused by Early Installment Weirdness. As I've discussed elsewhere, in TOS the difference between "spaceship" and "starship" was much more defined back then.

Then again, "Enterprise Class" only appears in the films on the TWOK simulator room sign. Does it really refer to the class of starship, or could it refer to the Enterprise herself as the ship depicted in the simulator? That is, a classroom depicting the Enterprise? Wouldn't it stand to reason that cadets would want to pretend that they're serving on the flagship and that the simulator room is regularly updated along with the Kobayashi Maru test?

In the novels its stated that by the 24th century the test is against Romulans and not Klingons, and one presumes that the test was updated to be against the Dominion during the DS9 era. Would it not make sense to think that Cadet Picard took the test in a simulator based on the Enterprise-C, and the door still says "Enterprise Class"?

I don't think that holodecks were advanced enough to completely replace Kobayashi Maru simulator rooms until the TNG era, do you?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.