View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 09:05 PM
whathistitleis

Send a message via MSN to whoiam

The thought occurs that had the device posessed, say, a 5 second delay, they could have easily triggered it and teleported down again. Possibly not even that. Back in the new season 1 they showed the Doctor being able to slow down time temporarily in need - surely in that state it's possible to trigger teleport and device roughly simultaneously?

Then there's Torchwood's giant alien-blasting laser thing. Who in their right minds would dismantle that even after the cybermen fiasco? Surely UNIT or the remnants of Torchwood had access to it *before* having to resort to nukes?

Then again, UNIT's equipping it's soldiers with sontaran-tech-proof bullets and taking down the superior foe is one of it's finest moments. Slightly jarring compared to the fact that after the first patrol of sontarans got taken down, the others should have been shooting humans on sight (and reflex). Great soldiers, supposedly, and instead they fare worse than a human opposing force would have done once their bullet-proof tech is negated.

Giving the genius access to actual terraforming equipment if you weren't planning to let him use it is also an act of some stupidity. Surely you just give him a training sim and promise the real tech will be waiting on the new planet? Instead of handing him weapons and then telling him to his face (whilst he's standing next to a teleport pod) that you were never going to keep your bargain with him?

Then the fireball to burn off the gas... A fireball to burn off a gas that was filling up most of the atmosphere. And choking people at ground level. Mystical alien tech, yes, but *something* should have at least been scorched by that. And by 'something', read 'everything on earth in direct contact with air'.

That little frame of Rose? Quite pointless in the context of the story. Unless she's developing psychic powers that can cross dimensions that supposedly need the power of a supernova to communicate between, it's likely just to make her final return even more brainless than I suspect it will be.

The doctor, on the other hand, did brilliantly. Bit of a shame that they had to neuter the Sontarans to get the Doctor to win... would have loved to see some version of this where the foes didn't go so far out of their way to hand the doctor weapons and *still* lost.

Finally, this weekend we get the first appearance of the Doctor's Daughter (according to the trailers). I'd have preferred having Susan back myself, but that's just personal preference. The character might be interesting. On the other hand, it might just be an excuse to have someone do a lot of backflips.

*all ranted out now*

Vote Morphine - the party for Not Crushing Opium!

Yoda, to his ice-cream: The sauce is upon you, and soon, sprinkles must fall!