View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Houses have other advantages over apartments and condos. You don't have to take an elevator, you can park your car right there, you don't have to share laundry machines, etc. Maybe the answer for these people is Astroturf.
Xeriscaping. The house I'm renting now has no lawn, just paving stones and lots of decorative gravel and shrubbery beds. The sprinklers are on automatic, so all I have to do is sweep the tree debris off the front path (which reminds me...). My parents' place is on half an acre, and guess who got to mow all of that with a push mower? As soon as I moved out, Dad got a ride-on. And an automatic door opener (prior to that, Mum would just pull into the driveway and honk the horn until I came and opened the garage door for her).

I should also figure out how to turn on the fountain in the back yard.

The other thing houses have going for them is the lack of noisy neighbours on the other side of a thin wall (or, conversely, a lack of people to annoy by being noisy).