View Single Post
Old 02-23-2022, 02:21 PM
You just activated his Trek card

RO: Maybe we should stay right here and see what happens.
RIKER: What if I snore in my sleep?
RO: What makes you think you're going to get any sleep?

At this point in Trek this is postively R rated.

One thing I find odd is that Picard will later say that his conscience is bugging him. Shouldn't the same thing be nagging these two that sex right now is a bad idea?

DATA: The destroyer has minimal shields. Their disruptor capacity appears to be only two point one megajoules.
RIKER: They're no match for the Enterprise.

A fan site calculates the Enterprise's phasers at 22.5 million megajoules.

Yeah, I'd say a factor of ten million qualifies as "no match".

RO: I recommend a randomly vectored approach to our target. It would be our best chance of avoiding sort of any pursuit.

Randomly vectored approach? You mean zig-zagging, Ro. And I think a fleet can track one ship no matter what it's doing.

TROI: So what else has your research uncovered about William Riker?
RIKER: He's athletically inclined, loves to climb mountain. He's from somewhere called Alaska. He enjoys exotic food, and takes his vacations on a planet called Risa.

Exotic food? You know I have to link to "A Matter of Honor" now...

Riker: These are the more palatable choices.

PICARD: I feel as though I've been handed a weapon, sent into a room and told to shoot a stranger. Well, I need some moral context to justify that action, and I don't have it. I'm not content simply to obey orders. I need to know that what I am doing is right.

It's a shame that this wasn't developed more.

RIKER: How can our mortal enemy be over a hundred years behind us in weapons technology?

One hundred years? Try two hundred! Archer could take these suckers out, and when I'm referencing Enterprise you know things are serious.

RO: (deadpan) Commander, don't worry about it. As far as I'm concerned, you and I have shared something that we will treasure forever.
(Ro leaves)
RIKER: Well, I'm a little confused.
TROI: Well, if you're still confused tomorrow, you know where my office is.

With an issue like this, shouldn't Troi have an assistant for Riker to talk to?

The Fiver

Worf: Who are all you people?
Ro: Beats me. I can't even recall who I am.
Picard: Neither can I. Remembrance is futile.

That pun hurts.

La Forge: Our mission is to enter Lysian space and obliterate their weapons of mass destruction.
Picard: Who issued that order?
Data: Ambassador Krajensky.
MacDuff: An unimpeachable source. Let's go.

Krejensky was replaced by a Changeling in "The Adversary". This is a reference even I had to look up.

MacDuff: Here's a printout of the latest intelligence on the enemy's illicit weapon-production program.
Picard: (reading) "The Lysians have nearly completed the Death Star, a space station with enough firepower to destroy an entire...."
MacDuff: It says "planet."
Picard: Yes, but why are there eraser marks under that word?
MacDuff: Uh -- maybe the report was recently updated.
Picard: (squinting at paper) It looks to me like it originally read "cream puff."
MacDuff: You're imagining things.

I get the joke, but I would've put "Tribble" in there. And then Worf would say that it sounds like a formidable weapon.

Troi: Interesting -- a statue from Risa and a love note from me to you. What do you think it adds up to?
Ro's voice: (from outside the door) Are you home, sweetie?
Riker: Boy, do I ever hate multiple-choice questions.

Even with amnesia, I can't see Ro using the term "sweetie." Heck, I can't see KIRA using the term "sweetie."

MacDuff: Then this strike shall be led by me, MacDuff! And damned be him who first cries, "Hold, enough!"
Picard: Fine pentameters cut no ice around here, thou miscreant rogue.

Of course this is a reference to Shakespeare's MacBeth. While Shakespeare used "miscreant" and "rogue", he never used both together.

Riker: I'm glad we've recovered our memories and that we managed to stop him. He could easily have triggered a war.
Troi: (over the comm) Commander Riker, could Ensign Ro and I have a word with you in Ten-Forward?
Picard: Hmm. Perhaps he didn't entirely fail after all.
(Riker leaves for Ten-Forward at Opprobrious Speed)

"Opprobrious" means "overly disgraceful or shameful." Did anyone other than Marc ever get this joke?

Memory Alpha

* Riker has a horga'hn in his quarters. Of course he does, but you have to wonder why he'd need one with his demonstrated animal magnetism.
* The personnel files of the senior staff contain several previously unknown facts. Highlights:
** Beverly was born on the Moon
** Wesley's middle name is R
** Data majored in Probability Mechanics (whatever THAT is)
** Lal and Ian are in Data and Troi's files as offspring
** MacDuff's birthplace is Gamma Canaris N (AKA the planet where Cochrane and the Companion ended up)
** Ro's parents were named Talia and Gale

Nitpicker's Guide

* With everything MacDuff was able to do, Phil is very skeptical that he'd need the Enterprise in the first place.
* Dialogue states that the Enterprise has ten phaser banks. This is incorrect, there are actually eleven (twelve if you count the one on the head of the stardrive that is usually covered by the saucer).
* Phil wonders why MacDuff didn't make himself Captain. I have the obvious answer: he doesn't know everything about the Enterprise and general Federation stuff, and the captain would be expected to know all of that.
* Why didn't MacDuff replace the whole crew? See the previous entry.
* If the Enterprise is supposedly on a secret war mission, why doesn't anyone question why there are families on board?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.