Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 03:31 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Not really a link, but I had to share this. On Amazon Prime TV episodes have a short summary on the season page. Some are more accurate than others. The one that caught my eye was the one for "The Dauphin"...

Wesley finds romance with the beautiful young ruler of Daled Four whose secret power could destroy the Enterprise and her crew.

What? Her "secret power" is that she's a shapeshifter. Sure, she could probably kill some crewmen, but that wouldn't destroy the Enterprise. Besides, Salia doesn't threaten the crew, only Anya!

I took a quick glance through the other Trek season pages for other hilariously inaccurate summaries...

Q-Who: The crew is hurled into the future by the malevolent Q, who sets them up for destruction by a race of half-human, half robot aliens known as the Borgs.

"The Borgs?" And that should be "humanoid", not "human". The Hansens aside, we're supposed to think that the Borg have never encountered a human before this episode.

Deja Q: The crew is surprised by the appearance of their mischievous nemesis, Q.

Not inaccurate, but amazingly broad and generic. Couldn't this summary equally apply to any Q appearance post-"Encounter at Farpoint"?

Holow Pursuits: The crew struggles to help a young engineer whose obsession with the fantasy world Holodeck is endangering the ship.

Young? Okay, this one is a bit complicated. If we go by the age of the actor, Dwight Shultz was 43 at this point. By our standards this is only "young" in a relative sense. However, Memory Alpha claims that Barclay was 26 at this point. Don't ask me where they got a birth year for him, maybe it was on an Okudagram somewhere.

Of course, given the extended lifespans of humans in the 24th century, perhaps 43 is still considered young.

Force of Nature: An alien brother and sister resort to desperate measures to prove their theory that warp drive is destroying the universe.

Wow. That's overblown. That sounds more like a soundbyte for a televised teaser than a summary for a streaming site. Of course, you could claim that without warp drive the universe may as well be destroyed.

Maybe I'll return to the other series later. This stuff is funny.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.