View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
Is it possible for each and every one to be ordered to secrecy about telling other people it's a nowin scenario?
Yes. Whether all of them maintain the secrecy is another matter, but as best I can remember, the novels tend to hold the position that they do keep it a secret. (The Kobayashi Maru and Sarek would be two to check.)

This may seem overly idealistic, but keep in mind that

1. the cadets are expected to keep much bigger secrets, both at the Academy and in their eventual careers, and to obey much more demanding orders.

2. the test (and, in fact, most simulations) probably doesn't exactly show up on any syllabus, which closes off the possibility of someone asking someone else, "Hey, what's this one about?"

3. it is very much in the Academy's interests that not a hint of the possibility of a no-win scenario get out to those who haven't yet taken it. The character demonstrated by a given cadet will be much different if he or she knows going in that it might be an unwinnable situation in which the best thing to do is to impress your superiors with your character. Since the leaking of such a secret would be very detrimental to the Academy, then, the Academy is certainly going to make it clear to cadets who have taken the test that their spoiling it for others would be very detrimental to their careers.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs