View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 11:14 AM
You just activated his Trek card

October 20th, 1966, "What Are Little Girls Made Of"

The fiver (by Kristina)
Memory Alpha page
Transcript

The episode:

* Yeah, this "I left my career to take a job as a nurse for the remote chance of finding my lost fiancee, except I've also been fawning over Spock therefore I'm kinda cheating on said fiancee" thing is a whole kettle of fish best left unexplored. But seriously, couldn't they have held out on Chapel's infatuation until after this episode?
* Um, contact with Korby's been lost, we're not sure we can find him again, oh wait there he is. Just a little too convenient, don't you think?
* Ever since Phil Farrand pointed out how short the legs on that unformed android were, it's always bugged me. Putting aside "was fixing that beyond the show's budget", the real question is "who was the incompetent that built them too short in the first place?"
* Kirk's implantation of prejudice against Spock into the double really is clever.
* The first mention of Kirk's brother George and his family. Aside from the space amoeba episode nothing's really going to be done with them except in the novels. I'll wait until that one to discuss Peter Kirk's future.
* I think this episode is the first to feature Kirk outsmarting a computer. Classic staple of the show.
* This idea of "a Kirk that doesn't want to kiss a willing woman is an imposter" thing is amusing.

The fiver:

Captain's Log: We've found Korby and his associates. They all live in a yellow.... uh, some underground caves.

Um, how does a Beatles reference connect to this scene?

Kirk: Then one phaser shot it is, straight from the hip.
"Brown": GAK?
Chapel: Captain, I presume you'll be charged-- with battery.

Oh, the puns.

Kirk: Right. I think I'm between a Ruk and a hard place.... but pull me up, will you?

Okay, that one's pretty clever.

Memory Alpha notes:

* It would make sense that the people on the planet would have older-style phaser pistols.
* Apparently this episode has the first official redshirt death, but I'm not sure if Memory Alpha goes by airdate or production order.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.

Last edited by Nate the Great; 10-20-2016 at 11:39 AM.