View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 03:15 PM
You just activated his Trek card

So I'm thinking about Voyager's variable geometry pylons again...

PNQ: What's the purpose of these things again?

I mean, it's not like the angle gradually increases or decreases as warp speed increases (angle X for Warp 1, angle Y for Warp 2, etc.), it's just zero degrees for impulse speeds (i.e. no warp field present) and thirty degrees or so for warp speeds (i.e. a warp field is present).

Furthermore, why is there a specific angle for impulse speeds anyway? It's not like you really need to worry about the coefficient of drag in space after all.

And while we're at it, supposedly these things were in response to the events of "Force of Nature" and the subsequent warp speed limit. My response to the response is...so what? We are consistently shown that the Delta Quadrant is sparser in terms of populated planets, interplanetary governments, and warp-capable ships in general than the Alpha Quadrant. Less warp traffic means Voyager will hardly be the domino that sets off a chain reaction of rifts and destroy subspace.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.