View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 03:55 PM
The moron they built to make you an idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
PNQ: What's the purpose of these things again?

I mean, it's not like the angle gradually increases or decreases as warp speed increases (angle X for Warp 1, angle Y for Warp 2, etc.), it's just zero degrees for impulse speeds (i.e. no warp field present) and thirty degrees or so for warp speeds (i.e. a warp field is present).

Furthermore, why is there a specific angle for impulse speeds anyway? It's not like you really need to worry about the coefficient of drag in space after all.

And while we're at it, supposedly these things were in response to the events of "Force of Nature" and the subsequent warp speed limit. My response to the response is...so what? We are consistently shown that the Delta Quadrant is sparser in terms of populated planets, interplanetary governments, and warp-capable ships in general than the Alpha Quadrant. Less warp traffic means Voyager will hardly be the domino that sets off a chain reaction of rifts and destroy subspace.
The treknobabble argument is that a combination of re-engineered warp coils and an elongated Z-axis either reduced or completely eliminated the environmental damage that was taking place. The Intrepid class' variable geometry is the design's way of achieving this as one of the first classes that had this fix implemented in this small of a package. Also, the impulse engines are on the nacelle pylons, so returning them to the 0 degree angle is most likely for efficient impulse flight and maneuverability. This is also why you see only elongated saucer sections from Starfleet from that point forward, none of that round business on-screen from newer ship designs. (At least, I think that's how the thing worked. Been a while since I was immersed in Trek-engineering.)

The real reason is probably Rule of Cool.