View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 09:22 PM
You just activated his Trek card

I would qualify those as lousy episodes. I would assume that Phlox, while not obligated to take the Hippocratic Oath, would presumably have some sort of Denubulan analoge. Similitude was just junk. Here's a wacky notion, dudes and dudettes: grow the clone, but don't let him wake up! Grow the parts of the brain that you need, but not the others! Design him to be a nonconscious vegetable on life support!

If you mean that "lousy Trek" can exist because the heavy-handed message of the episode is incorrect, than it is correct. The first instance that comes to mind is Distant Origin. They could've had Gegen denounce his theory publicly, then let him "die" as far as the society is concerned and be exiled to join Voyager.

Another instance that comes to mind is the blatant hipocrasy of Who Watches the Watchers. Nice episode, but the whole "religion leads to paranoia" thing countered with "oh yeah, people need religion to guide their lives" burns me up. Either religion is bad, or it's good, or they should admit that it's never that black and white.

Okay, we're getting off topic. Let's lighten things up with some more Trek Memories. Among other things, I'm a Bond fan, so of course I'd enjoy Our Man Bashir. It's fluff, but its good fluff. When Garak says, "kiss the girl, get the key. They never taught me that in the Obsidian Order," that's a high point for me. It's always a good time when the creators throw our heroes into an unfamiliar situation whilst still staying consistent. Q throwing everyone into a Robin Hood world, Sisko dragging everyone into a baseball game ("Death to the opposition!"), Data spouting off to Rex about how he's from South America, the rice picker, finding out about self-sealing stem bolts and reverse ratcheting router planers, Odo petting a tribble, Sulu throwing the "don't call me Tiny" guard, Mister Adventure, and a million other moments that you can't find in any other fantasy universe.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.