Thread: Big badda boom
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2003, 05:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to entei

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Not quite the same thing, but I've had the mains socket blow up on me when I plugged in the computer before. Gather round for the whole story (or alternatively skip to the next post )

The socket was always a touch iffy, in that it didn't have switches. It was live as soon as you pushed in the plug, sometimes resulting in a small spark. On this occasion, it was quite a big spark, with a loud accompanying bang as well. Checked the plug, and it had blown the fuse in it. So, I replaced the fuse and plugged it in again. This time it blew the fuse at the main fuseboard... and I mean blown. To this day, the fuseboard still has scorchmarks :O . This was the 20amp fuse as well you know; a big and beasty fuse to blow!

When I later removed the mains socket, the heat which had been there was evident. It had melted the what I presume is brass contacts inside - now that must be damned hot! I rewired the socket, this time fitting a proper one with switches, and it's worked fine with the computer ever since.

And best of all, I'm still alive. What do you mean 'Ah nuts!'. [/colorost_uid0]

I have a signature under construction... but you know what contractors are like!