Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2022, 04:05 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Steve Shives tackles the question of whether or not Eddington is a hero.

Yeah, no. This isn't even in question. I've made it abundantly clear that I hate Eddington's guts. Whatever "loyalty" Eddington may claim to have for the Maquis cause is really a confluence of two particular facts:

1. Eddington hates the rigidity and artificial nature of the Federation. Insert callback to the TOS space hippies here. As Robert Picard proves, there are still farmers and other "natural" careers out there. He could settle on any number of colony worlds and grow natural crops to his heart's content. No doubt the sheer number of colonies out there allow for a spectrum of technological dependence. If Eddington wants to live in a place where the only technology is medical tech and water purifiers, there are options. The Maquis live a rougher life, and that appeals to Eddington.
2. Eddington likes being a hero, and that means supporting the weaker side. And that's the Maquis. He's just using the Maquis to live out a power fantasy. Either he wins against overwhelming odds, or he dies the underdog defending his "values". Which as we've established, aren't remotely the same as the Maquis' values.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.