Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 03:32 PM
You just activated his Trek card

So awhile back CGP Grey suggested that the solution to traffic is to make all cars self-driving so you don't need traffic signals.

If you don't want to watch his solution is basically making all cars self-driving and let their onboard computers talk to each other so all of them know where all the cars are.

You know, decades ago a magazine posited that we could build cars that had their engines in removable modules. Take out the module and now we have a car that can travel on a monorail track. Reach the end of the line and put a module back in for local driving. That makes more sense to me than what CGP Grey is suggesting.

Adam Something posted a rebuttal to CGP Grey's thinking. He brings up the valid points that CGP Grey ignored pedestrians and what he was actually proposing is more trains. Plus, y'know, if all cars are connected to the internet a terrorist could hack in and cause a lot of death and destruction from a great distance away.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.