Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 01:21 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Certifiably Ingame explains spore drive

Wait a second...the idea is that there's a layer of subspace that's filled with magic fungus? And if a ship injects spores into the engines it can travel along said magic fungus? What have the Discovery writers been smoking?

Apparently at a quantum level there's no difference between biology and physics. This is ludicrous because at the quantum level there is no biology at all, all biological functions operate at scales far larger than quanta.

Also it seems that Discovery can activate spore drive while at warp. Also ludicrous. Say that this stupid fungus dimension is F, subspace is S, and normal space is N. Warp drive is designed to go N->S and S->N and spore drive is designed to go N->F and F->N. To go S->F or F->S requires a third kind of drive.

I could go on and on, but I'm not in the mood. Sufficed to say, I have another reason to never watch Discovery.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.