View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Outside looking in

Oh oh. I must post my thoughts about time.

My thoughts don't necessarily involve the destruction of anything and everything like Michiel's do, but they served to confuse me to no end and realize that time makes my head hurt.

Think about the past, the future, and the present for a minute. On the surface they are the 3 phases of time. According to most works of fiction, if you change the past, the present and the future will be affected. If you change the future, nothing is affected.

Ahahaha. But wait. Let's ponder this for a minute.

Changing something in the present changes the future, because the present is a past. But technically, the present is a future, because there's a past behind it. So if we changed it, nothing should happen, right?

And if you changed the past, lots of drastic things would happen... except... the past is also a future, because there's got to be more past behind that past. So if you changed it, nothing should happen because it's a future...

And it's even worse for the future! Who says the future you're in doesn't have more future in front of it!? This would make the future a past, therefore making the consequences of changing the future very very bad! But then again, the future is a future because both the present and the past are behind it, but then again, those are futures, too, because there's more present and past behind them.

THEREFORE, I can skillfully deduce with my now monster-sized headache that time is everything, and if you change it anywhere at any point, the universe is screwed. Now that I think about it, I couldn't even deduce that the first time I pondered this. I guess my headache was worse than I thought.

Thank you, Temporal Prime Directive, for keeping us safe.