View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 08:45 PM
You just activated his Trek card

CRUSHER: I couldn't even guess at your IQ level now.
BARCLAY: Probably somewhere between twelve hundred and fourteen fifty.

Technically the maximum IQ is 200, but we've had a few people between 200 and 300. Yet another example of the pop culture fallacy that IQ=knowledge. IQ doesn't work like that! Not that you care, but you need 140 for genius.

RIKER: Whatever that alien probe did to him, Barclay now seems to know more about the internal workings of the Enterprise than anyone else on board.

Shouldn't Data know more? What Barclay has is greater creativity to combine the Enterprise's parts in new ways.

PICARD: Has Mister Barclay done anything that could be considered potentially threatening?
TROI: Well, he did make a pass at me last night. (Riker and La Forge stare) A good one.

Cute moment, but not really relevant right now. How is "being good at flirting" be considered dangerous? Sexual harassment is different from that.

CRUSHER: There's something else, Captain. He taught violin technique at the music school last night.
RIKER: I didn't know Barclay played the violin.
CRUSHER: He didn't, not until last night.

Learning the technicals of playing isn't enough, you need to practice to master your connection with an instrument.

BARCLAY [OC]: My body is as you see it here, but much of my higher brain functions and memory have been transferred to the starboard computer core.

Thank you for remembering that there are three computer cores.

BARCLAY [OC]: I perceive the universe as a single equation, and it is so simple, I understand.

I suppose I should be referencing H2G2's "What do you get if you multiply 5 by 9? 42" joke.

BARCLAY [OC]: We have always perceived the maximum speed of the Enterprise as a function of warp, but I know now there are no limits. We will explore new worlds that we could never before have reached in our lifetime.

The Federation always thought warp was the fastest drive? I'm not touching the spore drive since it doesn't exist, but bare minimum we've been experimenting with transwarp for over a hundred years. Plus the advanced warp technology of the Kelvans etc. of course.

DATA: This disturbance is the result of a highly charged graviton field emanating from our warp nacelles.

Since when can the nacelles create a highly charged graviton field?

BARCLAY [OC]: Yes, sir, I'm altering subspace in a way that's never been conceived of before. I'm fairly certain it will allow us to travel half-way across the galaxy in a matter of only--

I'd like to make a Ska-Ka-Ree joke here, but nothing's coming to mind.

ANAYA: Unless something's wrong with our sensors, sir, we're almost thirty thousand light years from where we were.
PICARD: The centre of the galaxy.

Why are they assuming that their trajectory was a radial one? They couldn't have gone around to the far side of Beta Quadrant or something?

ALIEN: Emotive. Electro-chemical stimulus response. Cranial plate, bipedal locomotion, endoskeletal. Contiguous external integument.

"Contiguous external integument" just means "skin". Technobabble should make sense!

Oh, and someone actually wrote a song called "Contiguous External Integument." I find the song a little eerie and unsettling.

BARCLAY: Yes, sir. The Cytherians are exploring the galaxy just as we are. The only difference is that they never leave their home. They bring others here. Their only wish, an exchange of knowledge. They want to know us.

You can't explore the galaxy this way, just meet other species. This premise is nice and futurey, but falls apart under the most basic scrutiny.

Nitpickers Guide

* Phil complains about how Shuttle 5 has changed names and designs so many times on the show. As long as they don't appear in the same episode, I don't have a problem. Shuttle designs get retired, shuttles get destroyed and the name applied to other shuttles, etc.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.