View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 09:36 PM
You just activated his Trek card

SATIE: Let us keep our perspective, gentlemen. Just because there was no sabotage doesn't mean there isn't a conspiracy on this ship. We do have a confessed spy.
SABIN: And he had confederates.
PICARD: Do we know that for sure?
SATIE: Of course he did. Do you think J'Dan could have come on board the flagship of the Federation and accomplished what he did without help from within?

You have a spy who confessed A and denied B. You don't have confederates, you have a guy who is hiding something. And how could someone inside the ship help get J'Dan on board? If he was an agent of the underground Klingon/Romulan alliance, I would think that some Romulan posing as a Vulcan would've assigned him to the Enterprise.

Later they'll accuse Worf of being a part of the conspiracy. Do they think that he faked his rejection by the Empire in order to do...what? See, it falls apart at the slightest touch. If Satie is going to go this far, she might as well claim that the Romulans planted Worf in the rubble of Khitomer Colony to eventually join Starfleet and destroy it from within.

PICARD: You've opened the hearing to spectators?
SATIE: It isn't good to have closed door proceedings for too long. It invites rumour and speculation.

Rumor and speculation from whom? Starfleet will be watching a recording of the hearing, what does she care about the spectators? Is she hoping to use their reactions to find more Romulan sympathizers? Ugh.

SATIE: And whom else have you observed at these occasions?
CRUSHER: I don't understand what relevance that has. It was an innocent social gathering.
SATIE: If it was so innocent, why do you hesitate to give us the names?

I hate the "if you're innocent, you have nothing to hide" maneuver. Hate hate hate.

SABIN: And isn't it true that your security clearance allows you access to all the stores and files in Sickbay? Access which you can exercise at any time?

This is just painful. Claiming that any man has the ability to be a rapist, or any bank employee has the ability to be a thief, is a warped argument.

SABIN: What would you say if I told you there is evidence that the explosion in the engine room was caused by a corrosive chemical. One that is kept stored in Sickbay.

I'd call BS. Anything corrosive enough to damage the warp core would destroy flesh, unless there's a Horta on board that we don't know about.

SABIN: Isn't it true that the paternal grandfather of whom you speak was not a Vulcan but was in fact a Romulan? That it is Romulan blood you carry and a Romulan heritage that you honour?

You shouldn't have to lie about this in the Federation. Everyone should be judged on their own merits, not their race. And where's the proof that Tarses honors his Romulan heritage?

PICARD: This is not unlike a drumhead trial.
WORF: I do not understand.
PICARD: Five hundred years ago, military officers would upend a drum on the battlefield sit at it and dispense summary justice. Decisions were quick, punishments severe, appeals denied. Those who came to a drumhead were doomed.

The concept of a drumhead trial goes back to at least 1807, but most references are from World War II. There's a long screed to be had here about the validity of the reference and the episode title, but I'm not in the mood to type it.

WORF: He refused to answer the question about his Romulan grandfather.
PICARD: That is not a crime, Worf. Nor can we infer his guilt because he didn't respond.
WORF: Sir, if a man were not afraid of the truth, he would answer.
PICARD: Oh, no. We cannot allow ourselves think that. The Seventh Guarantee is one of the most important rights granted by the Federation. We cannot take a fundamental principle of the Constitution and turn it against a citizen.

Only mention of the Seventh Guarantee, you'd think it would come up more often. The only other Guarantee we ever hear about is the Twelveth, which had to do with the rights of artists to their work.

Don't ask me what the connection is between the Constitution of the Federation and the Charter of the Federation.

PICARD: But I do. This must stop. It has gone too far. You lied to him about the Engine Room. There were no volatile chemicals found there.
SATIE: It was a tactic. A way of applying pressure.

Technically she said "what if", but it was still a sleazy thing to do.

SATIE: How can you be so incredibly naive? Captain, may I tell you how I've spent the last four years? From planet to Starbase to planet. I have no home. I live on starships and shuttlecraft. I haven't seen a family member in years. I have no friends. But I have a purpose.

I fail to see how the consequences of her choices are Picard's problem. Many people sacrifice much for their careers, but the smart ones don't begrudge others for them. Her choice to not take vacations is not relevant to the current discussion.

SATIE: I'm going to get to the heart of this conspiracy if it means investigating every last person on this ship. And every hearing from now on will be held in the presence of Admiral Thomas Henry of Starfleet Security. I've requested he be brought here at once.
PICARD: You never told me about this.
SATIE: I report to Starfleet Command directly. I do not need your permission or your approval for my decisions.

She doesn't need his permission or approval, but it's common courtesy.

SABIN: Your full name?
PICARD: Jean-Luc Picard.

He doesn't have a middle name?

SABIN: How long have you held this post?
PICARD: For three years, since stardate 41124.

"All Good Things" will say that Satie herself will give him command on stardate 41148. "Encounter at Farpoint" is 41153.7. Does nobody believe in keeping notes?

SATIE: Would it surprise you to learn that you have violated the Prime Directive a total of nine times since you took command of the Enterprise? I must say, Captain, it surprised the hell out of me.

It shouldn't confuse Picard. That's the sort of tally that I would keep track of in my head.

Nine times? That's something to discuss later.

PICARD: My reports to Starfleet document the circumstances in each of those instances
SATIE: Yes, we're looking into those reports, Captain, very closely into those reports, after which I'm sure we'll have more questions for you about your so-called commitment to Starfleet's Prime Directive.

You'd think Satie would've done that before this hearing.

SABIN: In fact, she was not a Vulcan at all, was she? She was a Romulan spy.
PICARD: That's correct.
SABIN: A spy whom you were delivering back into the hands of the enemy.
SATIE: Tell me, Captain, when the deception was revealed and she stood proudly on the bridge of a Romulan ship, did you make any effort to retrieve her?

The Enterprise against two Romulan Warbirds? I call that a suicide. Even if you argue that T'Pel was important enough that a kamikaze run on the Romulans would've worked, there were TWO ships. The other one would've reported Picard's suicidal tendencies, tarnishing Starfleet's reputation.

SATIE: No. Even though you knew she carried Federation secrets that she'd been accumulating for years?
WORF: The Enterprise could have been captured by the Romulans! Captain Picard did the only thing he could.
SATIE: Really, Lieutenant? And where were you when this traitor was on board the Enterprise? Where was ship's Security?

She was good enough to fool Data at the time. The kind of paranoia that Satie is recommending seems more like Section 31 behavior to me.

SABIN: Don't you think it's questionable judgment, Captain, to have a security officer whose father was a Romulan collaborator?

Again I ask, what do Mogh's crimes have to do with Worf?

SATIE: It must have been awful for you, actually becoming one of them, being forced to use your vast knowledge of Starfleet operations to aid the Borg. Just how many of our ships were lost? Thirty nine? And a loss of life, I believe, measured at nearly eleven thousand. One wonders how you can sleep at night, having caused so much destruction. I question your actions, Captain. I question your choices. I question your loyalty.

Oh boy, is this a biggie. Putting aside Picard's guilt, which Troi should've handled, let's move on to his choices and loyalty. What choices? Picard was on the bridge and he was kidnapped, how could he avoid it? What loyalty? Is she saying that Picard is a spy for the Borg? How?

WORF: I believed her. I helped her. I did not see what she was.
PICARD: Mister Worf, villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged.
WORF: I think after yesterday, people will not be as ready to trust her.
PICARD: Maybe. But she, or someone like her, will always be with us, waiting for the right climate in which to flourish, spreading fear in the name of righteousness. Vigilance, Mister Worf, that is the price we have to continually pay.

How would Picard respond to Section 31? Presumably Worf informed him about it at some point.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.