View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 09:37 PM
You just activated his Trek card

The Fiver

Troi: That's not true. Humans gave up the practice of ethnic profiling a very long time ago.
J'Dan: My great-uncle Klaang was shot on sight by the first human to see a Klingon!

I haven't seen "Broken Bow" since the premiere, but I don't think it was that simple.

Worf: Shall I cease the interrogation, then?
Satie: Yes. Please thank Mr. Data for letting us borrow his Irving Berlin recordings.

I think this is just a "one person's music is audio torture to another" joke.

Picard: I disapprove of your opening this inquiry to spectators. You're making it look like a show trial.
Satie: Crewman Tarses will be more inclined to admit his guilt under the bright light of public scrutiny.
Picard: I also object to the fact that you've seated a kangaroo next to him.
Satie: He can't afford his own lawyer, so he has to be satisfied with whatever counsel the public defender's office can provide him free of charge.

At least it's just a kangaroo. Imagine if one of the dolphins down in Cetacean Ops was a lawyer...

Satie: Are you or have you ever been a member of a communist organization?
Picard: No.
Satie: Really? What about when you were assimilated by the Borg?
Picard: The Borg hardly qualify as a communist organization.
Satie: They live in a commune, don't they?
Picard: It's called a "collective," not a commune.
Satie: Close enough.

Even if you buy that the Borg are communist, Picard was a prisoner, not a collaborator with them.

Picard: How far are you going to take this travesty of justice?
Satie: As far as I have to! If necessary, I'll put all of humanity on trial to answer the charge of being a grievously savage race!

You forgot the "child" in there. Imagine the fun Q would have with her!

Memory Alpha

* Jeri Taylor's original intent was witch hunts, not drumhead court martials. I think using the witch hunt analogy would've worked better.
* Last episode with Ron Jones custom music. Watch SFDebris' reviews for his commentary on Jones' music.
* The McCarthy trials were mentioned, which would've been another better comparison in the actual episode than drumhead court martials.

Nitpicker's Guide

* Lots of twentieth-century slang used by Satie. I fail to see how this is a nit.
* Being part-Romulan is a problem for the Federation, but Sela (and Charvanek, for that matter) proves that being part-human isn't a problem for the Romulans. It's a shame when the bad guys are more tolerant.
* If Satie is an admiral that was brought out of retirement, why doesn't she wear a uniform?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.