View Single Post
Old 04-02-2022, 06:54 AM
The moron they built to make you an idiot

I'm returning here after Season 4. More because my stupid computer likes logging me out of this place and it looks like there's no new posts so I ignore...

Season 3's payoff was lacking. "Magical Space Child blows up all ships because of Space Grief" was not a direction I expected, and it was not a great direction to go in the first place. It felt a little forced. Yeah, yeah, I know I have been a booster of the series as a whole since the first episode, despite everything, but the Season 3 feels like another Season 1 with a lot less interesting stuff happening in the latter half of the season. Osyraa was just a bad villain.

Season 4 had the opposite problem. The first half was just not that interesting, but the second half I am a sucker for these types of concepts and it was just great - with the notable exception of Booker carrying the Idiot Ball for almost the entire season. Tarka was an interesting character too, in the fact that the actor was trying to go full Kai Winn and just be as despicable of a character as he could be. It fell a little short, because I sit here and I realize I kinda wanted his transporter to succeed and I can't even explain why. Also, I realized that Tilly not being in the episodes made me focus more on the rest of the bridge crew. I still can't name them all which is a problem in and of itself, but Detmer and Owo I am glad to say they got screen time and focus individually, and they work very well as characters (and just admit their love for each other dammit). Rhys needs a backstory and focus.

And please let S5 come along and there not be a galactic crisis. Three are more than enough for one series. Even Kirk didn't get that many.