View Single Post
Old 07-26-2006, 09:18 AM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
What in the world is "sentiment sans emotion"? It reminds me of the Cynic's oft-repeated term in his VOY reviews: "name-dropping masquerading as continuity." That always ticked me off. Most of the time, name-dropping is what continuity is.
"name-dropping masquerading as continuity" is throwing in something without really addressing it properly -- the Ferengi on ENT is a prime example. Given that we aren't supposed to know who the Ferengi are prior to "The Last Outpost," to have them abduct the most important ship of the fleet, and spend several hours in contact with the bridge officers and crew, but have no log of the event surviving to Picard's time even in a fragmentary or misunderstood form, seems ridiculous. That was someone trying to make a TNG connection but not understanding how to do it properly. "Regeneration" with the Borg was better, although still not a great idea. Mentioning kas-wahn in a story with a lot of camping references is a name-drop which is continuity.

So maybe "sentiment sans emotion" is the idea that the sentiment is stuck in falsely, rather than really earned by good writing engendering the actual emotion in the viewer? It's the script holding up a sign saying "YOU SHOULD SAY 'AWWWW' NOW!" because the writer couldn't figure out how to create something properly? That's my guess. The phrase was in reference to Dr. Who, which I haven't seen to tie in to the discussion.