View Single Post
Old 03-18-2003, 02:47 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Wonko The Sane"]A perfectly good example of why John Travolta should NEVER do Sci-Fi.[/quoteost_uid0]
A five-minute parody excerpt from "Battlefield: Earth":

Smart Human Guy: Hey, freedom from slavery is good.
Other Human Guys: Dur?
Smart Human Guy: You know, not getting killed.
Other Human Guys: ...?
Human Love Interest Chick: *pouty gesture*
Smart Human Guy: You guys suck.

You know the movie sucks when it takes three quarters for the Enslaved Humans to realize that not being subjugated and exterminated is good.

[quoteost_uid0]You didn't like it? Admitedly I didn't know it was based on a Heinlein novel, but I still liked it. As SF no-brainer action flics go, it's certainly at the better end of the scale.[/quoteost_uid0]

Put it this way: [bost_uid0]GIANT BUGS ARE NOT POSSIBLE![/bost_uid0]

Plus:
[*] the "Dizzy" chick has bugger all significance in the book (she's mentioned, what, once?)[*] Johnny Rico was cast as an ANGLO! The hell? Juan Rico. Argh.[*] The aliens were telepathic humanoids, not brain sucking bugs.[*] the "elite military units" were stupid. Did they have ANY consultation from legit military sources at all? "Hey, let's all turn our backs to the oncoming horde of bugs!" They deserved to die!

The book was butchered. Ick.

The Lynch "Dune" adaptation riles me for the same reason. Gotta love that Princess Irulan was introduced for.... NO REASON in that movie. Phil and I mocked it the whole way through. Some good stuff, more bad stuff. This will prolly get me lynched, but it's true.

And all promotional material for [iost_uid0]The Core[/iost_uid0] should be burned and the writers run out of town with torches and pitchforks.

Nan[/colorost_uid0]