View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 10:41 AM
You just activated his Trek card

February 16th, 1967, "Space Seed"

The Fiver (by IJD GAF)
Transcript
Memory Alpha

The episode:

* I had to delete a lot of nits from my first runthrough of this post. I don't want it to look like I hate the episode, so here's a quick rundown of the more charged observations:
** The view of '90's science from the viewpoint of the '60s is ludicrous, as is the separation of the Eugenics Wars from World War III. Both should've been combined into one war in the far future, at least a few generations removed from the original airing.
** McGivers is completely unprofessional. Couldn't they have had her in more of a Dehner role and introduce a few week's time lapse (the supermen gradually learning about the Enterprise, etc.) to give Khan time to use his charisma to slowly seduce her?
* Kirk's "I'll need somebody familiar with the late 20th-Century Earth." is funny. First, it seems like all future crews will have their resident 20th-Century expert on the senior staff already. Second, I hardly expect someone outside of a university to be that specialized. Even on the flagship, anything more specialized than "pre-warp Earth expert" seems unlikely.
* Must relate a favorite SF Debris joke at this point. When Khan revives, the first thing he wants to know is if Duke Nukem Forever is out yet (the review was made before the game was rescued by Take Two).
* "
Well, either choke me or cut my throat. Make up your mind." You gotta love Bones.
* Once again, a visiting civilian wears a Starfleet uniform. Hate the NextGen civilian pajamas as much as you want, but at least no one wore a uniform who didn't deserve it.

The fiver:

Spock: A mint-condition DY-100 class from the 1990s. A priceless artifact.
Kirk: Niiiiice. How much would it be worth if we opened it?
Spock: Absolutely nothing. Shall we proceed?
Kirk: Yes, let's.

Ah, the '90s collectable industry. I'm glad I wasn't old enough or had the disposable income for that nonsense. Nice to look at on trips to the mall, at least.

Kirk: How much does McGivers like Khan?
McCoy: A lot. Why, are you jealous?
Kirk: Yes. I love women, and I've gotta have 'em all.
McCoy: Are you confusing "women" with "pokémon"?
Kirk: No...but Raichu is a cutey.

Um, eww. On so many levels.

Memory Alpha:

* Apparently Gene also asked why they'd waste a ship like that, until the Napoleon-in-exile metaphor was explained to him. Yeah, I never understood the point of exiling Napoleon. Even if the executing him was considered taboo, that's what iron masks and tall towers are for: to keep an eye on people you don't want to escape.
* I knew Khan changed costumes a lot, but apparently five is a record for a male guest star. Cue "the more you know" whoosh.

YouTube clips:

Khan wakes up and talks to McCoy
Star Trek in the Park presents Space Seed (fan performance)

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.