Thread: "Whoops!"
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 01:29 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evay
With a site the size of mine, I'd have to be insane not to use some kind of style sheet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAHTMMM
Templates certainly meet that description
and if I wanted to do something new, which doesn't fit into a previously-created template?...

Quote:
And as far as code complexity, maybe I'm just an amateur, but I fail to see how a font tag/then size tag/then weight tag/then center tag is less cumbersome than saying "class=header."
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAHTMMM
You are forgetting the powers of Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V!
No, I'm talking about two different things. "Ease of typing" and "code complexity" are not synonymous. I can always paste a bunch of tags, but the browser still has to read and execute each and every one each and every time. If the single command is "class=text," then it goes to one external document and reads one string of code and can cache that. Again, I'm an amateur, but that how I learned it.

Also, when I'm looking at my HTML source to fix problems, it's way easier to have that much less material cluttering up the page. Fewer moving parts and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Not that I'm claiming not to be insane, but you realize I don't use any at 5M yet, right?
But you use php and the tag generator program and all that real code stuff -- you don't generate any pages manually any more, do you? So you may still have the issue of code complexity as I noted, but you aren't pasting or formatting by hand.

Ultimately I agree with Xeroc: If it works for you, and doesn't crash anybody, use whatever you like.