View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 05:56 AM
whathistitleis

Send a message via MSN to whoiam

Finally got around to watching Silence in the Library.

I, as an Avatar of Pessimism Incarnate, duly declare this episode's rating to be....

Promising!
*classical music blares from a heavenly choir*

A little more seriously, I can only, offhand, think of four two-parters in the new series where I've found the first part really... impressive... And this was the fourth. (For the record, the other three were The Empty Child, Family of Blood and the year 5^10^x. *sniffs* Poor Chan'tho.)

I don't know, maybe I've just been a sucker for anthropomorphised computers since I first ran across SHODAN all those years ago. "LLLoook at you, Hackerrr..." - good times.

Now, onto my traditional nitpicking: The little bit at the end of Donna's face on the information kiosk... Works fine for giving the Doctor a clue as to what's going on, but for anyone in the audience with a passing familiarity with, say, Trek-Style transporters it immediately makes you think "Her teleport pattern is saved in the computer, and all the doctor has to do is coax it out of the data core in the second part!" In terms of building suspense, it would have been far more effective to delay telling the audience that the computer did it for as long as possible. Of course, the less Trek and related series you've been exposed to, the less likely you are to have had that particular chain of thoughts...

Vote Morphine - the party for Not Crushing Opium!

Yoda, to his ice-cream: The sauce is upon you, and soon, sprinkles must fall!