View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 08:33 PM
You just activated his Trek card

I've already done my rant on where Bond is going, so I'll move on to reimagining and Trek.

Reimagining. I've seen this a lot in the comics lately. Ultimate Marvel, All-Star DC, Elseworlds, What Ifs, and all that. Nice idea, but they've yet to do it right. Not yet. Ever. I don't get that much enjoyment from it, mainly because they HAVEN'T GOTTEN IT RIGHT! I'm continually amazed at how fast they can break their record of "this time we're doing it right." A much fuller rant is available for the e-mail. I'm all for reimagining if they do it right, but they haven't, and I think they can't.

Reimagining and Trek are incompatible. They need to realize that. One reason that Enterprise failed (the main reason, in fact) is that although maybe they never "technically" violated prior canon (a chancy proposition in and of itself, but moving on), but they did violate what we thought canon was. Think about it, they marketed TAS products for years yet never substantiated the captaincy of Robert April or the launching of 1701 in 2245 or the Spock backstory from Yesteryear. For decades legions of Trek scholars wrote about Trek in a way that either supported each other or acted in a way that would never conflict with everything else. It is possible. It is. I know it. You CAN write a movie about the early days of the Trek chronology with absolutely no need for reimagining. Ain't gonna happen, though, but it IS possible.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.