Thread: Classical Music
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 03:01 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Hey, Sax!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxamaphone
Haydn's wonderful - check out any of the string quartets - and the "Surprise Symphony"
Any of the late symphonies, as well.
Quote:
Beethoven - the piano concertos, and of course the symphonies. 5 and 9 especially.
And 3, 6, 7 and 8. Especially.
Quote:
Mahler - Symphonies 1 and 2
And 5. And 9. And Das Lied von der Erde.
Quote:
Dvorak - Symphony 9 (my personal favorite)
Nice.

Quote:
Also, check out: Vivaldi (Four Seasons, any concerto), Handel, Berlioz (Symphony Fantastique), Chopin, Debussy, Wagner, Liszt, Mendelssohn, Schubert, Schumann, Saint-Saens, Tchaikovsky, Schostakovich, Stravinski.
Other things by Holst besides The Planets (like the two Suites for Military Band, for example), Vaughan-Williams, Stamitz (both of them), Bachs J.C and C.P.E., Carl Maria von Weber, Ravel (!), Schoenberg, Bartok, Prokofiev, Charles Ives, Edgard Varese, Karlheinz Stockhausen, u.s.w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
Wagner's got some good stuff in Tannhauser - there's the passage that everyone knows as Kill Da Wabbit (actually Ride of the Valkyries) ...
That would be Die Walküre, rather than Tannhäuser.
Quote:
... and a slower bit in 3/4 time that's done by the French horns but could be covered by the trombones (I have no idea what it's called, but it's part of the overture - I have a two-disc CD set of various overtures).
I'm not positive, but I think that you're referring here to Wotan's theme which recurs throughout the Ring cycle, sometimes called in Act III of this opera (sorry, "music drama") "Wotan's Magic Fire Music" -- one of my favorite leitmotifs from the whole sixteen-plus hours of music.

Back to Tannhäuser, though, the Grand Chorus near the end is pretty neat, too.

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)