View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 02:46 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Yes, it's the Night of the Living Thread! Oooohhh...

No idea what the format of this thread is supposed to be. Enlighten me.

The Story of Infinite Improbability
or Why One Name Isn't Good Enough For Nate the Great

Let's step into the Wayback Machine (I had to steal the keys from Mr. Peabody, boy is he gonna hate me in the morning. Which morning, however, I have no idea... ) and go back in the far mists of ancient time, when 5M.Net was still 5MV and I was the impressionable age of eighteen. Trust me, I graduated with Highest Honors and I still knew almost nothing about the real world. I had no personal computer at home and had to sneak time on my dad's computer, go to the library, or use a kiosk at my college, the University of Minnesota (Go Gophers!). The days of my Hotmail account had yet to dawn. The only websites I went to with any consistency were h2g2.com (this was before the bbc.co.uk takeover, if that matters to anyone), startrek.com (this was when I actually thought important stuff happened in the world of Trek on a daily basis), and Five-Minute Voyager. Come to think of it, I forget what the URL was for this site back then. I had been using Nate the Great as a nickname for certain of my more eccentric friends in high school for years, but online I went by Infinite Improbability. Why? The first username I created was for h2g2, and of course if you gotta create a name for a Hitchhiker's Guide site you need a Hitchhiker's Guide name, right? Of course! So obvious! I registered for the Five-Minute Voyager forum using the only online name I was using at the time, Infinite Improbability. Of course in later years I started using Nate the Great again, especially when I started fiving. So that's the story. Is everyone asleep yet?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.