Thread: Audiofivers
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 12:05 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Sorry, I didn't mean fiving the published fivers. Those take "five" minutes to read. Zeke was insinuating (at least I think he was) that putting on what is essentially a radio show of a five minute read will take more than five minutes to listen to and will take a LONG time to download. Okay, let's use THE EXAMPLE FIVER OF SCIENCE! (Go Bill Nye!)

Here's a sample "fiver" paragraph. How long does it take you to read (at the normal rate):

Picard: Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship--
Data: Uh, sir, it's time for the plot.
Picard: And what's our plot this week?
Data: We get to rescue a race of sentient Marshmallow Peeps from an unholy alliance consisting of the Frumious Bandersnatch and The Great and Everlasting Know-It-All.
Picard: I quit.

Okay, to be kind let's say ten seconds. Now read it aloud, at a reasonable dramatic and humorous pace.

"SPACE! The final ... frontier! These ARE the voyages of the starship...," etc. Okay, I got ... twenty seconds. Multiply that by twenty scenes in an ordinary fiver and that's over six minutes. Erm, I'm sure there was a point in there somewhere...

Uh, backup anyone?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.