View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 11:16 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]A) Then why didn't he jump in again, instead of allowing himself to be overwritten?
B) Then why didn't he survive, like he did back when he was just discovering that he actually had some powers?

and most of all,

C) Wasn't the whole "jumping-into-Smith" thing what caused all this in the first place? Based on Smith's condition and ability throughout [iost_uid0]Reloaded[/iost_uid0] and [iost_uid0]Revolutions,[/iost_uid0] I would venture to say that the "merging and destroying" method has proven rather uneffective for Agent-terminating.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying there's really no way anybody can tell. I've been frustrated enough to browse a newsgroup or so, and I'm met by 50% "you're right, it was severely messed up," and 50% who can't believe I didn't understand the obvious answer - unfortunately, they toss half a dozen different and mutually exclusive "obvious answers" at me, from "It's the same as the first movie, he jumped into him", to "the Main Computer sent a power surge through him" to "[iost_uid0]Neo[/iost_uid0] sent a power surge through him once he was already enveloped" to "Neo actually [iost_uid0]lost[/iost_uid0]" to "Once Neo died, Smith did too, to balance the Equation," to "the Oracle did it." I've got more if you want 'em, and I don't like a single one of them, because none of them is actually shown in the movie. Neo is overwritten. Smith blows up. If something happens in the middle, I think it was accidently cut out of the final film.

Clearly, something in this scene was not clearly represented.

This reminds me of right after [iost_uid0]Reloaded[/iost_uid0], when Neo discovered he had previously untapped superpowers: he was suddenly able to send EMP pulses in the Real World. The forums were abuzz - was the Real World another Matrix? Or was Neo a program, like the Oracle or Smith in Bane? Or was it something completely unexpected?

Well, [iost_uid0]Revolutions[/iost_uid0] answered that, all right. "It's from the Source," we find out. In other words: Neo has discovered he has previously untapped superpowers. Whoop-dee-doo. That was a real shocker, wasn't it, folks?

The reason I think the movie isn't great is simply this: LOUSY PLOTTING. "Why do you have superpowers?" (shrug) "Why do you want to go to the Machine City." "Because, umm... Because I [iost_uid0]have[/iost_uid0] to." What happened at the end? Well, we've got some theories...

The first movie was great because it had some cool ideas, a sense of mystery and paranoia, and real style. Wheras the two sequels had no real new ideas (beyond "there are programs that are becoming humanlike," and that was neither particularly exciting nor any more than a subplot), NO mystery or paranoia (because the mystery of the Matrix is already revealed in the first one - Morpheus hasn't got anybody to guide any more), and style was turned mainly towards drawn-out SFX battles and stuff blowing up.

The original was NOT a movie about Neo, it was a movie about the Matrix, about a certain setting, mood and style. Whereas the sequels were stereotypical Hollywood action movies, with a touch of stereotypical Hollywood romance and "you gotta [iost_uid0]believe[/iost_uid0]"-ism thrown in. That, and mixing in as much religious allegory as possible, because it can't be a plot hole if it's religious allegory, can it?

Does this answer your question?

Come to think of it - did you even have a question?

There is... no... question.

I'm going to go get some sleep now. Have a nice day.[/colorost_uid0]

--It\'s Walky!, David Willis