View Single Post
Old 05-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I saw this movie at 1:30 in the afternoon on the day it opened here in Kelowna. The theatre was mostly empty. This is one of the benefits of being unemployed and finished classes.

When we first saw Wolverine, walking through a landscape of mountains, trees and snow, I thought to myself "This must be Canada." There is an Alkali Lake in the BC Interior, but it doesn't have a CGI dam on it. Or a secret mutant research lab, either.

In addition to the main characters, I noticed that following mutants in the movie (or references to them):
Colossus (Metal guy who shrugged off the bullets. He was missing his Russian accent, though.)
Shadowcat (Girl who fell through the bed and ran out through the wall)
Banshee (Sorta...the girl with the sonic scream seemed to exhibit Banshee's power, but in the comics Banshee was a guy. However, the banshees of Irish myth were women. Draw your own conclusions)
Beast (The TV in the bar where that security guard got waylaid by Mystique showed an interview with Dr. Hank McCoy)
Gambit (When Mystique broke into the government office, the name on the list above the one she was looking at was Remy LeBeau, or something similar. This is Gambit's real name. There were probably others on that list that I didn't notice)
Jubilee (The Chinese girl who comes into Picard's...sorry, Professor X's study at the end. I think.)
Lady Deathstrike (Stryker's pet mutant with the Wolverine-type claws. I don't think they referred to her by this name, but I recognise the character. Took me the entire more to do it, though.)
Phoenix (Not really a mutant, but a significant part of the Marvel Girl/Jean Grey story arc. Manifested by the flames crackling around her at the climax of the movie.)

Anybody see something I missed?[/colorost_uid0]