View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
This is one of the weaker parts of the plot, I think. I won't knock the "red matter" technobabble per se, but why is the star blowing up so early?
The first time I watched it, I assumed that the star blowing up was Romulus'. However, after watching it again I realised Spock said he was able to deploy the red matter before "any other" systems were destroyed. I seem to recall that the crazy-spinny-unpilotable-ship was outfitted and sent out *after* the star blew up. Both of these suggest that the star was in another system, since it was a race against time to get to Romulus before the wave front. However, since star systems tend to be light years apart and explosions travel at subliminal velocities, there should have been millions of years before the explosion got there, at which point it would have attentuated to the background. Therefore, since the plot so clearly violates the laws of physics, it can't have happened, therefore the move never happened, therefore we can all stop embracing the worst of geek stereotypes over it.

Ignore is a much better option than Contort Into Canon or Petulant Hissyfit.