View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdgaf View Post
Nate, you could really stand to develop your appreciation for good marketing.

First, you don't understand how Nintendo's nomenclature decision plays into a much larger plan to make video games less intimidating to people who have never touched a video game in their lives, thus broadening the market and increasing their marketshare this generation in regards to the competition.

And now, you take an elite attitude toward sci fi which doesn't much allow for a cunning producer to reimagine and repackage the sci fi experience into something more mainstream and palatable for the masses.

Like it or not, both industries are indeed popularity contests, and reaching out beyond the population of already indoctrinated geeks and nerds is a perfectly rational business decision. There's a reason shows like Heroes and Lost have more of a popular, mainstream following than any modern incarnation of Star Trek could hope for. And I have a hard time believing Nintendo's simple, easy-to-remember system name is not playing a large part in its rapid word-of-mouth marketing success.
While I agree with the this (mainly the Wii stuff) nate did hit on something that drives me mad. Films. I like Star Trek. I like certain other shows. And while I understand the need to make these big screen outings 'accessible' to the main stream, I can't stand when they ruin it. And they really do seem to do it to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Computer Game Genres. I watched a movie a while ago, called Sin City. It's not my thing at all, but is a very well crafted film in it's own right. I found it to be full of things that you would only know if you read the book. Like they decide to make a film for the fans (I guessed from the look on my friends face as he watched it).
Now I understand that they want to make money, but I wish that sometimes a 'good' faithful film would be made, instead of a million billion pounds in profit!
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------