View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 12:44 AM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdgaf View Post
Sin City was a good example of a hit that transcended fandom. In my experience with friends who've seen it, most haven't read the original comics. And those who have thought the adaptation was spot on. And the movie was successful enough for a sequel (or sequels, if reports are to be believed). Lord of the Rings is a similar phenomenon, where a film series which catered pretty closely to the geek material gathered enough critical momentum for an academy award (not to mention its box office take). Batman Begins? V for Vendetta? The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe? Spiderman? The list goes on.
The only problem is, the list is rather long for films that it didn't work on. I'm guessing rather more.
Super Mario Brothers? Resident Evil? The last few Treks?
I'm a fan of Resident Evil. I play it, because I like everything it is about. Everything that happens in it. But the movie tries to become too mainstream. They want to make it simple for non-fans to watch. Now I would think that was a nice thing, if it wasn't for the fact that they are just trying to make as much money as possible.
Yes it did work with, say, First Contact, and I love it to death. And It's not as if I'm saying that I don't agree with what Nintendo are doing. I think it's fantastic. They deserve a flipping medal! But a game console and a movie are too very different things. I just feel sometimes that it would be nice to if the movie makers didn't try to cast such a huge net and focus on the people who allowed them to make the movie instead.
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------