Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 03:49 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Explaining Errors in Star Trek Wiki: DS9 Edition!

(Part One, anyway)

An unexplored planet is only 6 light years from DS9. Explanation: it's "behind" the wormhole. So what? The ancient Bajorans made it to Cardassia!

Someone was actually confused about where Quark heard of Fizzbin. I would assume it's obvious: the Federation shepherded Sigma Iotia until they were able to apply for membership, and they spread the game throughout the known galaxy. Plus it would make sense for Ferengi to study all known gambling games, right?

Someone else brought up the question of why would you buy food at Quarks when you can just go to the Replimat. Off the top of my head, Quarks has higher-class replicators that use more specialized and expensive base material. Perhaps certain races have more refined palates that find "ordinary" replicated food unpalatable and are willing to spend money on the better stuff.

Someone else wondered why Keiko was able to start a school without a teaching certificate. Someone speculated that getting one wouldn't be unusual for a botanist in order to teach others, but I'll go with the simpler "nobody else seemed to want the job, so anyone is better than nobody." (Of course that does beg the question of why Bajor wouldn't send a teacher to DS9 at the end of the Occupation if children are going to be on board).

Why is Quark counting his profits in plain sight? Explanation: he's flaunting his wealth. Yeah, that doesn't work for me. The real reason is that there isn't an office/vault set to hold the scene in instead.

If Melora can't use an antigrav wheelchair because of Cardassian technology incompatibility, how come Bashir can use an antigrav stretcher in "Necessary Evil" two episodes from now? They really don't offer a valid explanation, but I'll offer one. The antigrav stretcher could use Cardassian tech, but not Melora's wheelchair because the Cardassians wouldn't have accounted for such technology. They sure seem like the kind of race to execute parapalegics in the name of efficiency and eugenics, don't they?

Why did Sisko leave the station undefended in "Meridian"? Explanation: DS9 has other ships near it to defend the station. No, the real explanation is that the show introduced the Defiant specifically to get away from the station every once in awhile. Furthermore, Starfleet has been slowly upgrading the station's weaponry this whole time. You don't need the Defiant there all the time when there's no immediate threat.

"Meridian" is the first DS9 episode after Voyager's disappearance, why isn't anyone talking about it? The proposed explanation doesn't gel, but I have a simpler one: this isn't really a DS9 problem. There would undoubtedly be other starships in the DMZ to handle Maquis problems without bothering DS9.

There's an interesting discussion on the "Meridian" page about why Starfleet ignored the Dominion's orders to stay out of the Gamma Quadrant.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.