Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 11:07 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Explaining Errors in DS9, Part Four!

There's discussion on the "Defiant" page about the ship being deserted and easily stealable. It's brought up that naval ships never have less than 25 percent of their crew on board. Another flimsy excuse is that the warp core isn't as volatile.

What? Sisko specifically said that the ship is overpowered! Furthermore, as long as there's antimatter existing outside of containment pods on Defiant, you need someone to keep their eyes on the gauges 24/7. This is just ridiculous.

Also from "The Defiant" it's brought up that the warp speed limit is ignored. I'll argue that a way around it happened within a few months and that's why we don't hear about it past a couple TNG mentions. Furthermore, the Defiant might be overpowered for its size, but it's overall warp effect would be much smaller than a Galaxy class (can someone explain why the Defiant is so small again?).

In "Destiny" a comment asks why the replicators had to be specifically set to make Cardassian food. One comment speculates that Cardassian and non-Cardassian food might cross-contaminate in the replicator. Um, what? I would certainly expect the replicator to do a full sterilization after each order as a simple matter of cleanliness.

Also from "Destiny", Bashir treats Morn for food poisoning, but doesn't notice all the latinum Morn keeps in his second stomach. A commenter suggests doctor-patient confidentiality.

It's also wondered why the Cardassian scientists would change from "Terok Nor" to "Deep Space Nine" instead of the Bajoran designation. My immediate reply is to ask why there would be a Bajoran designation in the first place. The government was in upheaval, Kira didn't think it would last more than a few weeks. I doubt the name of the station really mattered that much to them (no wormhole yet means it would be a proverbial truck stop only).

An idiot commenting on "The Die is Cast" seems to think that Odo is not a part of the Bajoran militia. Why wouldn't he be?

It's brought up that Bashir's dad got two years for eugenics but Kasidy only got six months for smuggling. I'm not sure I have an explanation for this one.

For "The Dogs of War" it's asked why the new Defiant would STILL have the NX designation. Of course we all know it's to reuse stock footage, but I have a problem with the Defiant using NX at all. Maybe for the first mission they took it out of mothballs without time to repaint, but by the second appearance it should've been NCC. Of course the second Defiant should've been Defiant-A, but I understand not wanting to alter the CG model so close to the end of the series.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.