View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 02:56 PM
You just activated his Trek card

December 29th, 1967, "The Trouble With Tribbles"

Part One

Now it's time to have some fun! I won't dampen the mood by rehashing the flatcat story, you can go to SF Debris for that...

Fiver (by IJD GAF)
Transcript
Memory Alpha

The Fiver

Spock: So, they plan to develop this Sherman's planet with quadrotriticale crops....
Kirk: You know Spock, you really could stand to learn the art of small talk.
Spock: What, on my quest to become more human? Ha!

Interesting place for a reference to "Starship Down", but okay...

Baris: (over comm) Kirk, this station is swarming with tribbles!
Kirk: I was unaware that 1,771,561 tribbles constituted a swarm.

If Spock's right, there aren't that many yet. Actually, that would've been a great running joke for Spock: "Actually, there are X tribbles. Assuming one yada yada multiplying over Y hours."

Scotty: I don't know...I'm not a huge fan of drunken shore leaves....
Kirk: HA! Good one...see you in a little while.

That is a good point...we've seen Scotty take normal shore leaves elsewhere. Technical manuals are for your off hours on ship when you're not near anything else!

Koloth: I demand an apology! Your hats are libel!
Baris: I demand an apology! Your guards are a joke!
Darvin: I demand--
Tribbles: Eep!
Darvin: --a raktajino.
Kirk: Koloth, get lost. Baris, get a life. Darvin, get exiled to Cardassia. And Cyrano....
Jones: Yes?
Kirk: Get busy. You'll need a miracle, or at least a glommer, to clean up this mess.

Reference overload! I was expecting a Spider-Man 2 "it's not slander, in print it's libel" joke, plus a clearer redshirt joke ("your guards kept dying from paper cuts and untied shoelaces"), plus someone asking what raktajino is.

Memory Alpha

* Lots of costume reuse in the bar scenes. It seems that the turtleneck uniforms are still being phased out (Sherman's Planet must be on the frontier and the new uniforms haven't been shipped yet).
* Another episode where Doohan's missing finger can be seen. If it's that important, you'd think the directors would all be paying closer attention to this.
* If the Okudas are to be believed, this is the last episode that had new Enterprise footage shot; all future episodes will reuse footage. Memory Alpha wonders if this is true.

Nitpicker's Guide

* Where were the guards Kirk assigned to watch the Klingons during the bar scene?
* How could Scotty be on the bridge in the final scene if he's been confined to quarters? Phil suspects that Kirk quickly realized that it wasn't really a punishment and rescinded this order.

YouTube

* Uhura's nursery. "Fortunately of course...I am...immune..."
* The bar fight. Don't you love how Korax imitates Scotty's accent for a second?
* Kirk's lunch is ruined by tribbles. The air vents! Also Doohan's finger.
* Kirk is buried in tribbles. "Close that door!"
* Music suite from the episode. Don't tell me that you can't pinpoint each scene based solely on the music!

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.